The Donald did us a Solid!
By: Pastor Bill Nesbitt
Friday, June 30, 2017 - 09:20 AM
One of the biggest reasons evangelicals voted for Donald Trump was the hope that he would nominate a conservative Supreme Court Justice. A vacancy was left open on the court when Justice Antonin Scalia passed away and the Republicans in congress would not hold a hearing for Obama’s nominee. Conservatives thank the congress from the bottom of our hearts for that. It gave President Trump the opportunity to fulfill his campaign promise and nominate a conservative judge: Supreme Court Justice Neal Gorsuch.
Why is that important to conservatives and especially those of us who are Bible believing Christians?
- Abortion is a terrible evil in our land. The carnage that is called a “woman’s right to choose” is the cause of great shame for our nation. According to Abortionclock.org, since 1973 with the Supreme Court decision on Roe vs. Wade to make abortion legal, there have been over 59 million abortions in the USA. As of June 22, 2017, 440,180 abortions have been performed in our country. Since 1970, Planned Parenthood has been responsible for almost 8 million abortions; 155,983 so far this year. Worldwide since 1980, there have been over a billion abortions. God is not happy because the life of the unborn is sacred (Jeremiah 1:5). God creates life in the womb (Ps. 139:13). Inconvenience for the mother is not an excuse to abort a baby. Abortion on demand is nothing but genocide. With that in mind, we evangelicals would love to see Roe vs. Wade overturned but we need conservatives with strong convictions to be appointed to the court for that to even be a possibility; a judge like Neal Gorsuch.
- Gay marriage is the law of the land but we need someone who will stand up for the rights of those who see this as a sin, and traditional marriage as God’s will (Matthew 19:4-6). We need someone who will defend the rights of bakers, florists, and churches, whose faith will not allow them to help a gay couple celebrate their wedding. They need to have the freedom to do this without the fear of having to shut down their business or close the doors of their church.
Neal Gorsuch was raised a Roman Catholic but then began attending an Episcopal Church in Colorado, and even though the Episcopal Church is liberal, Justice Gorsuch seems to have transcended those positions and gives conservative rulings from the bench. Here is a sample:
- The Guardian says he repeatedly upheld claims of religious exemption where the law would compel an individual to violate a personal spiritual belief.
- He stood up for Hobby Lobby’s right not to provide health insurance for contraceptives.
- He ruled in favor of erecting 10 Commandment monuments in public spaces.
- He wrote in his book on assisted suicide that there is no constitutional basis for putting a mother’s life ahead of the child’s.
- According to Heavy.com in 2016, Gorsuch sided with Utah Governor Gary Herbert’s defunding Planned Parenthood.
So while Donald Trump gives us many reasons to shake our heads, we have to thank him for doing us a solid (favor) in appointing a Supreme Court Justice that will stand for the truth, life, and the rights of those who believe God’s Word.
<< Return to Blog Entries